Rupture Discs for FPSO Applications
Pressure relief devices play a critical role during the stages of oil and gas production. Rupture discs are commonly used on a number of FPSO applications due to their rapid, full bore relief, reliable burst control properties and compatibility with other pressure relief solutions. REMBE® provides a wide range rupture disc solutions specifically designed for these challenging applications, overcoming traditional industrial concerns while enhancing safety and overall operating efficiency. Complying with critical material specifications, rupture discs are critical pressure relief devices used within various production stages on an FPSO including:
- Oil and Gas Separation and Treatment
- Gas Compressor Module
- Heat Exchangers
- Water Injection Pumps
- Gas Turbine/Power Generation
- Flare Stack
- Dual Fuel Engines
Complying with critical material specifications, REMBE®‘s rupture discs are available in a wide range advanced and highly corrosion resistant materials while complying with NACE and NORSOK standards when required. With REMBE®‘s extensive collection of rupture disc signalling systems, a full pressure relief assembly can be supplied to increase process control, meet legislative demands and improve maintenance schedules.
With an extensive range of forward and reverse acting rupture discs as well as flameless explosion venting devices, REMBE® solutions provide superior performance even when subject to demanding process conditions. All REMBE® products are manufactured by using state of the art laser technologies which enables high quality, accurate, burst control. With an extensive range of forward and reverse acting rupture discs as well as flameless explosion venting devices, REMBE® solutions provide superior performance even when subject to demanding process conditions. All REMBE® products are manufactured by using state of the art laser technologies which enables high quality, accurate, burst control.
The following discs suggested for each application are not exhaustive and other rupture discs may also be suitable depending on the individual process conditions.
Oil and gas separation and treatment
The oil and gas separation and treatment process requires pressure relief protection to ensure safe operation of pressurised vessels. Frequently used in combination with a safety relief valve as a secondary relief device, the rupture disc is designed to function in the event of failure of the safety valve.
REMBE® KUB® is a unique, highly engineered solution, benefiting from a series of buckling elements which accurately collapse for reliable, full bore opening. As there is no one specific weak point on the rupture disc, the KUB® is an extremely durable solution, offering excellent performance in demanding processes.
- Reinstall and reuse with ease after inspection – guarantees maximum lifespan of one rupture disc, reducing spares costs.
- The most robust rupture disc solution – Virtually immune to damage during transport, storage or installation –maximises process uptime and unnecessary replacement costs. Engineered to last!
Gas compressor module and heat exchangers
Rupture discs installed on a gas compressor module are designed to protect the tubes on a heat exchanger from rupturing due to overpressure. Rupture discs are selected due to their response time in milliseconds. As output is directly correlated to the production from the compressor module it is critical that a rupture disc with good life cycling capability is installed, otherwise as the operating pressures increase the rupture disc will be pushed to its operating limits and fatigue causing frequent failure and unnecessary loss of production through downtime.
REMBE® Contour Precision Lasering™TM (CPL™TM) ensures high quality, accurate burst control even in the harshest of environments. CPL™TM manufactured rupture discs such as the IKB® are robust solutions offering superior performance characteristics even on harsh operating conditions as in the FPSO compressor module.
- High performance with cost-effective pricing – ideal for new installations and change-outs where both high quality and price are a key requirement.
- Superior lifetime – Manufactured with unique Contour Precision Lasering™ (CPL™) reduces downtime caused by premature failure, corrosion or pin-holing.
Water Injection Pumps
The water injection process involves the drilling and pumping of high volumes of liquids, frequently operating at high pressures. The purpose of the rupture disc is to act as safety critical device in the event the pressure raises beyond a manageable level. Pressure pulses during the water injection process can fatigue a rupture disc leading to premature failure. The REMBE® SFD (Sublimated Forward Acting Rupture Disc) is a versatile rupture disc solution ideal for harsh liquid applications. The fragmentation free, smooth process face, reduces any concerns of corrosion or contamination build up.
- Compatible with liquid-only applications – Superior performance even when used under harsh liquid-only conditions.
- Manufactured with unique Contour Precision Lasering™TM (CPL™) – Reduces downtime caused by premature failure, corrosion or pin-holing.
The gas turbine operates at extremely high temperatures to cause the turbine blades to spin and generate the electricity. The gas turbine compresses the air and fuel and burns it at extremely high temperatures, creating a hot gas. As the temperature increases the gas expands creating the need for pressure relief devices in case the gases expand beyond acceptable levels.
REMBE® ODV and STAR offer a solution for a wide range of pressures and large bore sizes at cost-effective pricing. These triple-section, forward acting, rupture disc designs comprise three rupture disc elements, a top section burst element, a sealing membrane and an integrated vacuum support.
- Compatible with a wide range of process conditions – versatile solution suitable for numerous installation points, including large bore sizes and low pressures.
- Direct flange installation possible – cost-effective solution, eliminates costs of holder while offering superior performance.
Protection of a flare system is critical; a by-pass system is commonly used in case there is a large or sudden surge of gas released or in the event of a blockage in the pipe. In the event of overpressure, or malfunction of an FOV (fast opening valve), the rupture disc will safely vent the pressure to re-establish the path to the flare which is ignited to burn off the unnecessary gas.
REMBE® Double Disc Assemblies can either be a combination of two forward acting discs such as SFD or ODV, two reverse acting such as KUB® or IKB® or a combination of rupture disc types dependent on the particular process conditions and core requirements. The primary function of the assembly is to protect the primary disc from variable back pressure, especially on applications relieving to common manifold, e.g. several heat exchangers connected to the flare system.
- Protection against variable back pressure – Primary rupture disc is protected in event of unexpected downstream process changes enabling maximum uptime.
- Improved leak tightness – continuous leak monitoring possible in the interspace between the two rupture discs.
- Multiple disc combinations possible – enabling the protection of a wide range of process conditions.
Exhaust ducts and dual fuel engines
When the engine is running on gas, an unexpected fault could allow a flammable mixture of gas and oxygen to occur in the exhaust system, potentially leading to serious explosions with risk to equipment and injury of personnel. This would result in failure to drive system and electrical supply as well as damage to essential instruments such as radios, radars and navigation equipment could result in costly downtime. Flameless venting solutions protect the surrounding areas from the consequences of an explosion, enabling normal operations to be resumed in the event an explosion occurs.
REMBE® Q-Rohr® DFE has been specifically designed for the protection of dual fuel engines. The lightweight, compact design ensures 100% venting efficiency, to enhance safety levels while minimising unnecessary downtime. The Q-Rohr® DFE specifically permits flameless venting in the hull of the FPSO while ensuring protection of the surrounding areas. Its construction ensures a high level of noise – reduction – during normal operation and in the event of an explosion. In the event of explosion normal operations can recommence in an extremely short time if the Q-Rohr® DFE is being used as the flameless venting system.
- 100% seal tightness – reduces and concerns of asphyxiation to personnel.
- Compact, lightweight design – enhances efficiency onboard the FPSO.
- Maintenance free solution – simple visual inspection by a technician is sufficient, supporting with efficiency.
- Stainless steel construction and filter – ensures corrosion resistance and high levels of noise reduction.